* Based upon Kleck & Gertz estimates of 2.5 million defensive gun uses per year (see source #2). A similar study in 1994 under President Clinton (Source) found this number to be 1.5 million, which would result in guns being used over 47x more often to defend a life than to take one.
According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, about 436,000 crimes were committed with a firearm in 2008 (Source). This would mean guns are used 5.7 or 3.4 times (using Kleck or Clinton respectively) more often to defend against a crime than to commit one.
** Comparing violent crime between two countries can sometimes be difficult as each nation defines it differently.
- 2010 CDC Report. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm
- Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, “Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense With a Gun,” 86 The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, Northwestern University School of Law, 1 (Fall 1995): http://www.saf.org/lawreviews/kleckandgertz1.htm
- Kleck and Gertz, “Armed Resistance to Crime,” at 185
- U.S., Department of Justice, National Institute of Justice, “The Armed Criminal in America: A Survey of Incarcerated Felons,” Research Report (July 1985): 27.
- "Homicide Statistics 2012". UNODC.
- Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy (pp. 649-694). Volume 30, Number 2: http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf
- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/5712573/UK-is-violent-crime-capital-of-Europe.html; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html
- BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm
- Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB841185795318576500.html
- USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2012/12/25/gun-free-zone-john-lott/1791085/
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/protective-service/police-and-detectives.htm
- Newsweek Magazine: Nov 14, 1993: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/1993/11/14/are-we-a-nation-of-cowards.html
- The Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/article/auditing-shooting-rampage-statistics
- Kleck, Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America, (1991):111-116, 148.
- Gary Kleck, “Crime Control Through the Private Use of Armed Force,” Social Problems 35 (February 1988):15
- City Rating: http://www.cityrating.com/crime-statistics/georgia/kennesaw.html#.UO5soYnjkz4
Operation Protective Edge: The IDF’s fallen
This is one of my most favorite endings to a Disney movie, hands down.
Fuck the sword of a Hun who was going to destroy China. Fuck any sort of gift from the Emperor. They’re these *things* that have no meaning whatsoever.
His little girl is home from a *war*, safe and sound, and that is the most important thing in the world to him. The world can go to hell, but it doesn’t matter, because Mulan’s home.
this scene ALWAYS makes me cry